Tuesday 21 October 2014

My top ten favourite photographers.

Here is a list of the photographers that have inspired and shaped the way I work. Lets get started!


10. Annie Leibovitz.
Annie Leibovitz, known mostly for her work in the Rolling stone and vanity fair magazines has photographed too many famous faces for me name! My particular favourite series of hers was her disney inspired shoots, which features famous faces as the classic characters in fairy tales such as Cinderella and sleeping beauty.  

9. Horst. P. Horst. 
This photo by Horst. P Horst, entitled 'corset', has always been one of my all time favourite images. The elegance and beauty of it made me want to create similar things when started shooting in film. Horst has shot over 90 covers for vogue in his fashion photography career!

8. Helmut Newton. 

During my foundation diploma I did a series based on Greek mythology. Whitest researching photographers for inspiration I came across this one by Helmut Newton which is based on Greek goddesses.  Looking into more his work, you'll see that he likes to push the boundaries of sexuality within his images, reflecting provocative and erotic scenes.

7. Kirsty Michelle. 
Kirsty Michelle studied 'costume for performance' at the London college of Fashion where she learnt how to create and design these wonderful costumes. She depicts her favourite fairytales in her photos by hand-making or designing everything in them! 

6.  Joel Robison. 
Joel Robison's work is whimsical and plays with reality. I fell in love with his style straight away and he quickly became one of my favourite photographers.  

5. Alex Stoddard 

Just like a few others on here, Alex Stoddard made his name through the photo sharing site, Flickr. I'm extremely envious of his talent and style, its so well edited that you could actually start believing in magic!

4. Nicholas Scarinto 


Fine art photographer, Nicolas Scarinto creates these beautiful surreal images that often have a vintage feel to them.


3. Tim Walker
My number 3 is a super famous fashion photographer who does alot of work for Vogue. It was a difficult decision choosing which photo of his to use as I love all his work! He used alot of influences from fairytales, and plays with perspective and size of props. 

2. Brooke Shaden. 

Brooke Shaden just had to be near the top of this list! Brooke creates these fantasy worlds within her work, creating beautiful scenes that look like they've just come out of a hollywood movie! Each of her pieces are conceptually stunning and shes been a HUGE inspiration in how I work. 

1. Rosie Hardy
And finally my number one is Rosie Hardy! Rosie was the first photographer I came across that did something different. I was at college at the time and was used to looking at classic portrait photographers, until someone told me about Rosie's work on Flickr. I instantly fell in love with the creativity and honesty within her work. She quickly became popular within the Flickr community, so much so that Maroon 5 found her work and hired her to do take their album cover photo for 'Hands all over'. Check out all her work here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rosie_hardy/

So there we have it! Thank you for reading and be sure to keep up-to-date with my blog for more inspiration, advice and photography tips! 

Becky. x 




Here is one of my photos inspired my Rosie Hardy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment