Friday 17 April 2015

DIY: Photo necklace



You'll need:

  • A watch case
  • A small photo or somewhere you can get one printed. 
  • Necklace thread/string or chain. 
  • Scissors
  • Optional necklace charms (from old necklaces or bracelets)

1. You can probably pick up an old watch from a charity shop, car boot sale or online. I was lucky enough to have access to tonnes of watch cases as my dad used to make watches. 

2. Once I knew what photo I wanted to put in the case I measured the diameter of the glass so that I could get the right size for the photo. On photoshop I was able to make the photo the correct size for the frame. If you're not sure how to do this, you could just guess, although it may take a few tries before you get the right size! 


3. Because the photo was printed square I drew around the case back to get the correct circular shape.

4. Once I cut a circle around the photo, I placed it in the case, right up against the glass. Then I closed the back of the case. (please excuse my chipped nails!)
5. I then attached the photo necklace to the thread and tied a knot at the top, leaving enough room for me to fit my head through.. You can pretty much use any thread or chain that goes with your picture. I got mine from the Bead Shop down the Lanes in Brighton, where they have a HUGE choice of colours and materials.
6. I added some beads that I saved from an old bracelet to add a little decoration. You could try this or leave it as it is!

FIN.

I've been making these to sell as I'm planning on doing a stool down at the Brighton Open Market this summer. I also have some work current up down at Sunshine arts cafe on Hove street near, where you can buy cards/prints and some of these necklaces! 




No comments:

Post a Comment